The main objective of Rotary is service – in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Rotarians develop community service projects that address many of today’s most critical issues, such as children at risk, poverty and hunger, the environment, illiteracy, and violence. We also support programs for youth, educational opportunities and international exchanges for students, teachers, and other professionals, and vocational and career development. There are many ways for Rotarians to get involved.
Ordinary people can come together and achieve extraordinary things when given the proper tools. Rotary provides a structure to get us together. Come join us and find out for yourself!
Avenues of Club Service
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through five Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity. Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Vocational Service calls on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society. Learn more in An Introduction to Vocational Service and the Code of Conduct.
- Community Service encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest. Learn more in Communities in Action: A Guide to Effective Projects and this Community Service presentation (PPT).
- International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
- Youth Service recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange.
Each year the Sumter Rotary club awards those Rotarians who have performed in an Avenue of Service in a recognizable, commendable, and outstanding manner. Avenues of Service Award Winners
Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer
#10: It feels good
#9: It saves resources
#8: You gain experience
#7: It brings people together
#6: It promotes personal growth
#5: It strengthens your community
#4: You learn
#3: You get a chance to give back
#2: It encourages civic responsibility
#1: You make a difference